6 tbs caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 dsp cornflour
2 tbs plum, raspberry or strawberry jam
- Combine milk vanilla and half of the sugar in a saucepan and slowly bring to boil on a low heat.
- Mix cornflour with an extra ½ cup milk in a small mixing bowl. Separate eggs, putting yolks into cornflour mixture, and whites into another bowl.
- Beat egg whites with remainder of sugar until stiff. Beat cornflour mixture and egg yolks and add to boiling milk, stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Pour into an oven proof dish.
- Daub custard mixture her and there with jam. Then spread egg whites on top, forming small peaks with the back of a spoon. Bake uncovered in a slow-moderate oven until meringue is lightly toasted on top. Allow to cool then refrigerate.
- Serve chilled, alone or with stewed or canned fruit.