8 cups (2 litres) milk
1 tsp vanilla
6 tbs sugar
- Combine rice, milk and vanilla in a large saucepan over high heat, stirring until it boils. Then turn off heat.
- Place lid on saucepan and allow to stand for about 15 minutes. Stir regularly, and check consistency as the pudding thickens. If it is too thick add ½ cup milk at a time and combine well. Repeat this procedure until grains are soft and consistency is right
- Then add sugar, combining well and ensuring sugar dissolves completely. (For extra creamy flavour, add ½ cup cream instead of milk).
- Pour rice into a serving dish and allow to cool. Then cover with lid and store in refrigerator.
- Serve chilled with canned or stewed fruit of choice. Serves 10-12 people.