1 onion(s), roughly chopped
2 clove(s) garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp each ground ginger, cinnamon and cloves
1/4 tsp ground allspice
Pinch of chilli flakes, optional
60g tomato paste
180g grated pumpkin
1 tin (400g) chopped tomato, blended
3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp salt
Black pepper to taste
Stevia to taste
- Heat the butter in a saucepan on a medium heat and gently fry the onion for 15-20 minutes. Don’t allow to brown. Add the spices and chilli flakes if you are using them and fry gently for about five minutes more to release their flavour.
- Then, add the tomato paste and cook for another few minutes. Add in the garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Add the water, pumpkin and tomatoes and simmer gently on a low heat until the mixture has thickened on the lowest heat possible.
- This will take up to two hours. Stir occasionally to stop it sticking.
- When it’s cooked down and the flavour is apparent, season well with the salt, pepper and sweetener. Then blend with a stick blender or in a liquidiser to your preferred consistency. Finally, add the vinegar. Place in sterilised glass jar/bottle and allow to cool, then refrigerate. Will last up to five days in the fridge.
Total Fat 41 g
Sodium 2683 mg
Potassium 907 mg
Total Carbohydrate 39 g
Dietary Fiber 5 g
Sugars 18 g
Protein 7 g