600g fatty beef or lamb mince
2 small onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 x 400g tin whole peeled tomatoes, blended
1 cup beef stock
¼ cup chopped mint
2tbls chopped parsley
For the aubergines:
3 large aubergines, sliced lengthways, about 1cm thick
a little melted butter
For the Topping:
500ml cream, reduced by half and seasoned with salt and pepper
100g parmesan, grated
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- In a medium sized pot, melt the butter and add the onions and garlic. Gently fry them until they are soft.
- Add the mince and fry with the onions until it is browned. Keep stirring the mince to make sure that “meat balls” don’t form. You want it to be properly separated.
- Add the cinnamon and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, wine and stock. Cook the mince on a medium heat for about 30 minutes until the liquid has reduced and it is a thick, meaty sauce. Season well with salt and pepper and stir in the chopped parsley and mint. While the mince is cooking, lay the aubergines on a baking tray and brush well with melted butter. Season well with salt and pepper and roast in the oven for 20 minutes until they are soft.
- To make the moussaka, grab a lasagna dish and layer the aubergines between the mince. We try and get at least three layers of aubergines. Make sure you start and finish with the mince. If you want to make this a treat dish, you can also layer some crumbled feta cheese in with the aubergine.
- Top with the reduced cream and the grated parmesan.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes until it is bubbling and golden.
- Serve with a fresh Greek salad.
Total Fat 36 g
Sodium 449 mg
Potassium 309 mg
Total Carbohydrate 14 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Protein 30 g