1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup rice bran oil
3/4 cup milk
1 egg white, lightly beaten
For Savoury Toppings
2 tablespoons of any of the following: poppy seeds, sesame seeds, caraway seeds, mixed Italian herbs, Cajun spice, Parmesan cheese, coarse salt, garlic powder, wheat germ
For Sweet Toppings
2 tablespoons of either cinnamon sugar or hundreds of thousands
- Preheat oven to 200 C. Sprinkle 2 baking trays with flour.
- Sift flour and salt into a bowl. Add oil and milk. Mix together with a round bladed knife to form a firm dough. knead gently on a lightly floured surface until smooth.
- Cut the dough into 24 equal pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a 30-cm rope. Place 2.5 cm apart on baking trays.
- Brush dough with egg white. Sprinkle with toppings.
- Bake until golden, about 10 minutes. Place baking trays on wire cooling racks and cool for 10 minute. Transfer bread sticks to rack and cool completely.
Try combinations of toppings. For example, combine 1 tbsp of Parmesan, 2 tsp of mixed Italian herbs and 1 tsp garlic powder. Sprinkle mixture over dough and bake as directed.